This is how to make my barrel planters:
- Use food grade plastic barrels. These are made of HDPE (high density polyethylene) and won't leach chemicals or dyes into your soil.
- Cut the top quarter or third off the barrel with a jigsaw, using a pilot hole made with a 3/8" drill bit. (This is messy, so cut over a surface you can sweep up.)
- Use a wood rasp to clean up the cut edge - this just takes off the jagged plastic bits and smooths things out. Plus it sounds cool.
- Drill four holes in the bottom for drainage
- Drill handle holes on each side (use the same 3/8" drill bit)
- Use 3/8" rope to make the handles.
Image credit: Cale Ruiz